Why Choose AIS?
American International School (AIS) as a leading international school for 30 years, is one of the few independent schools in Hong Kong. Serving families from the local and expatriate communities since 1986, AIS delivers a rigorous US standards-based educational program for students from Early Childhood through Grade 12 and a strong college-preparatory academic program based on US educational standards supported through international best-practices in teaching.
Why Choose an Independent School?
In a monograph written by Patrick F. Bassett, former President of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) he addresses the question: Why Choose an Independent School? This succinct but highly insightful piece of writing draws attention to some of the key questions prospective parents and teachers may ask when considering the possibility of joining an independent school. He identifies some of the core values and characteristics that make an independent school like AIS unique from others:
- Not-for-profit and non-discriminatory, governed by a self-perpetuating board of directors.
- Independent in finance as opposed to being run by the government, by a religious or by for-profit entities.
- The freedom to define their own mission, admissions and academic programs.
Proven Academic Achievements
- Strong academic results from our AIS graduates combined with a well-organized college admissions process ensure an almost perfect annual graduation rate and admission to a university of their choice for every student in the United States and internationally.
- Students at AIS consistently enroll in an AP course as sophomores (Grade 10). Majority of our graduates each year receive awards and recognitions in AP Scholar or above from the US College Board.
- Students at AIS take Algebra 1 in 8th grade and consistently complete Pre-Calculus and higher levels of Mathematics in high school.
Developing Citizens of Tomorrow In and Beyond Classrooms
- As Global Citizens, AIS students play a positive role in society; contribute to the improvement in the lives of others both within the school and the wider community. They participate in global leadership forums such as Model United Nations and Global Issues Network conferences, share a sense of collective responsibility for the planet and those who inhabit it.
- As Effective Communicators, AIS students demonstrate high proficiency in English through their Language Arts program and develop digital citizenship for the 21st century. They express themselves through Visual and Performing Arts, regularly excelling in AP Art examinations and attaining high rankings in the Southeast Asia Band Festivals.
- As Empowered Thinkers, AIS students are real world problem solvers and critical thinkers. They achieve outstanding results at SAT exams and are consistently awarded recognition as AP Scholars from the US College Board.
- As Well-Rounded Individuals, AIS students are involved in a wide range of extra-curricular program, including an extensive sports program at both intra-mural and varsity levels. Through personal and social development activities in the arts, sports, and special interests, students are able to develop their individual talents and passion. Adventure Week is an integral part of the outdoor education and leadership program at the school.